Thursday, April 17, 2008

Self Portrait With White Mask

Self Portrait With White Mask
Oil on gessoed cardboard
It was the hands that were the tricky part of this painting. Working from my reflection in the mirror, I had to keep putting my brushes down, and picking up the mask and vice-verso. Pretty dumb way of working I guess, but I've done many odd and challenging self portraits in this manner over the years, including one of myself flossing my teeth. I find if nothing else, it's a good exercise in developing observation and memory skills.
The Dutch Auction for the painting of Halved Orange has now closed. It finally sold for $150. Congratulations to Sarah! I may consider doing another one soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love this self portrait, what an ingenious idea.
    I relly like so much of your art hard to know what to comment on :>)