Saturday, April 26, 2008

Encaustic Match


Encaustic Match
Encaustic Wax on Cardboard
62x100mm or 2.5x4"
Sold
I've been working in the encaustic wax medium for the last few days and this little one seemed to fit in with this project. This is the smallest I've attempted to work with wax. It's an interesting medium and I've used it quite a lot on my larger paintings in the past. I have it in mind to paint the Big Match using encaustic so this was a little try out. The encaustic wax medium consists of beeswax and pigment applied hot to the support. It is an ancient medium used by the Greek painters working in Egypt around 100 - 300 AD. Here is another view of the painting in a different light.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it's amazing to think you've painted such a small image using wax! I really like the texture :)

    ReplyDelete