Friday, August 28, 2009

Daffodils at the Window


Daffodils at the Window
Oil on gessoed board
Approx 235x260mm




It is difficult to be cynical in the presence of daffodils. I love them. I had just been thinking about wanting to paint some when a visiting friend arrived on the doorstep with these three. I put them in a large glass and placed them in the sunshine streaming in through my studio window. I often play music when I start a painting, and this day I instinctively reached for a CD by Eva Cassidy. Her beautiful soulful voice and emotional singing seemed just right for my mood, and as I painted, I realised it was all somehow appropriate; Eva Cassidy was an artist as well as a talented singer who tragically died of melanoma at the young age of just thirty three. It also happened to be the day before New Zealand's "Daffodil Day" , the annual fundraiser for the cancer society. It felt kind of like I was painting a tribute to the memory of Eva Cassidy, and it occurred to me that it would be nice to donate some of the proceeds from the sale of the painting to the NZ Cancer Society.

So, I would like to try something a bit different. I will auction the painting from this blog over the next week and whatever the final highest offer is, I will give fifty percent to the Cancer Society. I will end the auction on September 4th at 12 midnight NZ Standard Time and the last emailed highest offer I recieve will win the auction. The start will be set at $100, and I will update the progress on this blog.

Update: Final selling price $220

No comments:

Post a Comment