Friday, April 17, 2009

Super Gum



Super Gum
Oil on Berger Canvas 2748 mounted on MDF
100x150mm



I found this stick of bubblegum on my morning walk. A school group had recently passed by. I was never allowed bubble gum as a child. I also found it oddly reminisent of the way cannabis reefers were twisted at the ends "back in the day". Perhaps they still are, though I wouldn't know. It was painted on a sample scrap of canvas. Normally I would trim it to the shape and size I required before starting the painting, but today for some reason I didn't. Perhaps it suits the feelings I have for the subject. There is also that whole connotation of bubblegum being cheap and nasty, typifying the "throw away" culture I have been brought up in. To be perfectly honest, I'm kind of feeling like I'm slumming it a bit, painting these small paintings and trying to hock them off on a web blog. So many others are doing it now, and I look around and see so much mediocrity and unoriginality. Perhaps it's time for me to make a fresh start with another project.

No comments:

Post a Comment