Thursday, March 20, 2008

Plastic Knife and Fork in Paper Napkin on Wooden Block


Plastic Knife and Fork in Paper Napkin on Wooden Block
Oil on gessoed board
200 x 235mm or 8 x 9 1/4"
$200
This plastic knife and fork wrapped tightly in a paper napkin came from some fast food meal I guess. I tend to keep things that fascinate me for future painting and I've got a huge collection of these odd bits and pieces of the detritous of 21st century life. So for me it's never a problem "not having anything to paint". I've never understood this complaint I hear from so many artists. For me the problem is deciding what not to paint. Having said that I have no idea why I suddenly decided to paint this particular subject on this particular day. Although it fascinated me I kept putting it off because I knew it would be difficult to paint in a convincing way. White on white is always a challenge. I don't think I really succeeded as well as I had hoped, but it has got some of the cacoon, swaddling, or shroud like quality about it, that intrigued me.

2 comments:

  1. Kind of appropriate for Easter, eh?

    I enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a sacrificial look to it, apt for disposable cutlery! I like it :)

    ReplyDelete