Friday, February 09, 2007

Blue Glass With Yellow Pencil


Blue Glass With Yellow Pencil
Oil on gessoed board
335x150mm

I spent two days on this one and it went through three distinct stages. The initial sketchy phase was completed in about 15 minutes and I nearly stopped then as I was quite happy with it. Trouble is when I'm happy and enjoying something I don't feel like stopping! So I took it further and inevitably, (for me), stopped being happy with it. I'm one of those people who gets stubborn and tenacious when things get difficult so I struggled all afternoon with it and left it with a feeling of indifference. Next day I came into the studio and could see some little improvements I could make. Again, typically for me, that turned into another long afternoon's session on it. I've left it at this stage. I could easily see myself taking it to another level or different direction however. Just about every painting is like that. Indeed my primary objective in starting this daily painting blog was, and still is, to try and curb my habit of labouring everything to death.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about beating something to death Paul, but I really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL your comments just crack me up I TOTALLY CAN RELATE !!!! LOVE THIS PCE !! cheers Donna :-)

    ReplyDelete