Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dried Starfish


Dried Starfish
oil on gessoed board
108x130mm
sept26,27,06
To purchase for $200 click here

Had a bit of a struggle with this one. Started it on a day when I was feeling quite down and I literally forced myself to paint. This was the major phillosophy and goal when I started this PAD blog, to attempt to paint every single day wether I felt like it or not. I dont always succeed in this goal but I try. There is a lot of airy-fairy nonsense spoken about artistes needing to "be inspired" and in the "right mood" in order "to create". Bullshit! It's like everything else in life - you only get out what you put in. One of the rewards of sticking to a dicipline of daily painting is that you get MORE inspired. I'm getting so many ideas for new paintings that I can't paint a fraction of them! The starfish had been sitting on the window sill paitently waiting it's turn to shine. THe light was bad on the first day and I couldnt seem to get it right so I came back to it fresh the next day and managed to resolve some of the problems I was having with it. It's always a challenge trying to capture the phisical presence an object has. This has little to do with it's surface appearance which is relatively easy to replicate, but if you do that it is merely an illustration. Yes, I know... I'm an arrogant snob in this regard!

2 comments:

  1. I think you were very successful with this one. The starfish looks like it is still has movement; you captured the "essence" of it. Nice colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie! Yes, they're nice little critters!

    ReplyDelete