Wednesday, July 05, 2006


Popped Balloon
June 29 and 30th,06.
oil on gessoed board.
95x112mm.

Sold n



Looks like the partys over...

This was painted on the gessoed board that the Starling's head was sitting on. I found it difficult to match the day-glow pink colour of the balloon. I tryed all the hot pinks in my arsenal of colours but nothing worked. I ended up grinding up a small amount of Quinacridone Rose and Titanium White pigment which seemed to do the trick. The shadows have a little cobalt and the mid-tones are warmed slightly with a smidgen of raw sienna.I find it interesting that the most joyous colours are also the most unstable and likely to fade. I once wrote this "poem" about it on my studio wall. Apologies to William Blake....!

O Rose! Thou art fugitive,
The ultra-violet violates.
Alizarian Crimson brings me great joy,
But your guaranteed ingriedients,
Dihydro Anthraquinone on Aluminium Hydrate
Ground in highly refined Linseed Oil

Sucks!

Give me Earth Red
Light
Anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment